Rambhau Mhalgi Prabodhini
Vinay Sahasrabuddhe is associated with Rambhau Mhalgi Prabodhini (RMP) for the last 28 years. He could well be described as Founder-Functionary of this unique institution.
Pt Deendayal Upadhyay, one of the founding fathers of Bharatiya Jan Sangh, first mooted the concept behind RMP, which is about building the capacities of political workers and elected representatives in a structured manner and through an institutional set up. Rambhau Mhalgi, an illustrious politician and twice MP from Thane, Maharashtra had taken up the idea and proclaimed that he would work for translating this concept into reality, way back in 1981. However, Mhalgi died an untimely death due to cancer in 1982. Later, Uttamrao Patil, Prof Ram Kapse, Vasantrao Patwardhan and many other frontline leaders of Bharatiya Jan Sangh / BJP of those days; established RMP as a trust, in order to commemorate Rambhau Mhalgi. Although the trust was established in 1982, actual work was started somewhere around 1985-86.
In 1988, Vinay Sahasrabuddhe joined RMP as Chief Programme Co-Ordinator. In 1990, he became Executive Director and later in 2000, Director General. Currently he is Vice President at RMP from June 2016.
Some significant achievements of Vinay Sahasrabuddhe at RMP during the last 28 years could be summarized as follows:-
- 1. As the first official of this academy, he gave concrete shape to the concept and infrastructure of this institution from ground zero.
- 2. Personally conceived, planned and conducted over 500 varied training programs catering to the needs of wide-ranging groups of people in public life like – Ministers, Members of Parliament, Members of State Legislatures, Municipal Councilors, Members of village bodies, Directors of Co-operative Banks, and Administrators of Educational Institutions, etc.
Some innovative ideas implemented are as follows:-
- 2012- Conceiving and implementing Netritva Sadhana , a comprehensive Social and Political Leadership Development Programme for young professionals and students.
- 2012- Mooting the idea of Development-Governance Tourism offering curious young professionals an opportunity to learn Govt and Non-Govt development initiatives through an on-the-spot-study programme. First, implemented in Gujarat.
- 2008-13 Conceiving and implementing Institution Building Support Scheme (IBSS), an innovative project for a structured Institutional Mentoring of small voluntary organisations, for their empowerment through mindset-changing, capacity building and exposure-based training and real-time hand-holding!
- 2010- Was invited by the UN-ECOSOC at its special session in June 2010 in New York to make an Oral Statement on his chosen topic Changing Traditional Male- Mindset as a Pre-Requisite of Women Empowerment.
- 2009- Conceiving and implementing Continuous Leadership development Programme for Youth, Certificate Course in Political Assistance-ship for the PAs of Members of Parliament. Motivational training Course for University Officials and Leadership Training Course for Rural Women.
- 2007-Worked as Project Leader in a documentation project entitled “Delivering Democracy: Innovative Good Governance Initiatives in Gujarat” focusing mainly on the achievements in reaching Millennium Development Goals. ? 2006-Successfully seeking recognition for RMP as an NGO in Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations.
- 2005-Conceived and implemented International Youth Leadership Program - A Certificate Course in Leadership through Civilization Understanding (CCLCU).
- 2002-In 2002 led Indian Voluntary Organizations’ Goodwill Mission to Afghanistan. This mission was set up by RMP-International, with a view to studying the rehabilitation and reconstruction needs and exploring the possibilities of contribution from voluntary organizations in India.
- 1998- Mooted and implemented Continuous Leadership Development Programme for young student participants of the National Service Scheme (NSS).
During the last 28 years, Vinay Sahasrabuddhe has edited several anthologies of articles on specific themes, published by the Publication Division of RMP. Some of the noteworthy publications are as follows –
- 1. Accountability of Elected Representatives (1990)
- 2. Sarvajanik Karyakarta: Manoarchana ani Vyavahar (Mindset and Conduct of a Voluntary Social Worker) (Marathi) (1993)
- 3. Sanghatan Shastra (Science of Organisation) (Marathi) (1994)
- 4. Sangathan Kaushal (Organisational Skills) (Hindi) (2010)
As principal functionary of RMP, Vinay Sahasrabuddhe played a key role in planning and structuring RMP’s Knowledge-Excellence Centre (RMP-KEC) at Uttan, Bhainder; inaugurated by then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 2003. This is probably the only-of-it’s-kind non-resort Training Centre with all necessary facilities as well as ambience for capacity building and research.